Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Creating Balance, cleaning the clutter

All my life I've been a pack rat. I've saved everything I could get my hands on for that rainy day I might need it. From cardboard boxes to empty candle holders to clothing tags, I would not throw anything out.

Growing up, it would be torture having to clean my room, my friends would try to help me, only to realize I was hopeless. I would assign special meaning to everything, and feel I was loosing a best friend in a twist tie.

As an adult, I moved into my apartment with a massive amount of accumulated clutter. I moved it around in baskets, and piled it in the closet. Each time I looked at it, it would be a surprise, or new find I had forgotten about.

About a year ago, I cleaned my room. I made myself throw out just a few items of clothes. It was surprisingly addictive, the next time I threw out more, a huge box the time after that and then I hit the garbage in my room.

I felt so much more balanced, like I could breathe. My room became more inviting, more motivating, my mind lighter.

I still have a long way to go if I want to become a minimalist (and I do), but for now, one box at a time, its all going out.

Try it! Let me know your experiences or thoughts on purging, or tips to help pack rats like me take bigger plunges.

No comments: